May 15, 2007

Motorcycle mania

Getting a motorcycle wasn't the first thing on my mind, so when we got a phone call asking if we wanted a motorcycle we, of course, had to say "yes".


In 1999, I walked into a motorcycle shop and saw a motorcycle on a display pedestal. The moment I saw it, I determined somewhere in my mind, that if I ever got a bike, this would be the one. Fast forward from there to 2 years ago when Spencer from work showed me a picture of his girlfriend's newly purchased bike. My jaw dropped open because it was "the bike". A month ago or so, Spencer told me that Lisa was thinking about getting a Harley, "the bike" for her. Upon hearing this, I told Ben, who told me, that I should let Spencer know that we may be interested in it and could he let us know first if Lisa was going to sell it, no promises though. Last Wednesday, I get the phone call that Lisa found "the bike" and were we interested in buying hers? It took Ben and I about 10 seconds to decide "yes" and then about 5 minutes to figure out where the money was going to come from. On Friday, we picked up the bike and now I have to learn how to ride it. Fortunately, Ben knows how to ride and actually used to own a bike (thus why I was in a motorcycle shop in 1999, looking for a helmet to wear when riding with him) Unfortunately, I have no clue so I am signed up for a class at the end of the month. I even have my learners manual so that I can start studying. Ben has showed me how to start it, but when I sit on it, I feel a bit overwhelmed. It makes me think of my students when they first start flying.


"The bike" is a 2001 Honda Shadow ACE 750cc (so probably a year newer than the one I saw). So not too bad for a starter bike. It belongs to Ben and I however he insists that it is my bike . . . how exciting!

1 comment:

Quodlibet said...

Which course are you going to take? I took one from the Calgary Safety Council and it was fantastic. It was an intensive all weekend course where the examiner came on the last day and gave you the test. I'm glad you are taking a course - you will be thankful after all you will learn. Enjoy!!